2020 Program Overview
The Targeted Home Improvement grant covers exterior home repairs. To qualify for the grant, your property must be located in one of the City of Chicago’s 10 MMRP Target Areas or the Woodlawn or North Lawndale Community Areas. You must be an “owner-occupant” of a residential property (1 to 4 dwelling units) in one of these targeted geographies, which means that the property you own is also your principal residence. “Mixed-use” (residential & commercial) properties are ineligible. Please read below for more detailed eligibility requirements.
The Targeted Home Improvement Grant administered by NHS received significant response and is not currently accepting additional applications
General Eligibility Requirements
Eligible homeowners must:
- Own and occupy the home for at least one year before applying.
- Live in a single family up to 4-unit home.
- Meet household income requirements. See Income Eligibility below.
- Live in one of the City of Chicago’s 10 MMRP Target Areas or the Woodlawn or North Lawndale Community Areas.
- Not have received a Targeted Home Improvement Grant, Target Block Grant, MMRP Targeted Areas Grant, or a 606/Bloomingdale Trail Grant in the past 5 years
- Not owe the City of Chicago any delinquent debt (i.e. parking tickets, water debt, administrative hearing, etc.)
Targeted Home Improvement funds are primarily available for exterior home improvements. However, up to one-third of the total granted funds may be used for immediate health and safety-related repairs. Examples of eligible repairs include:
- Roof repair or replacement
- Front and rear porch repair or replacement
- Window and door repair or replacement
- Concrete patios and walkways
- Faulty wiring, non-functioning furnaces or boilers, leaking plumbing, etc.
- Tuckpointing and masonry repair
Targeted Home Improvement grants are available to low and moderate-income households earning up to 80% of Area Median Income for the Chicago Metropolitan Area as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Please see table below to see if you meet the income eligibility requirements. Household size and income will be verified by using tax returns and other financial documents during the application process. Additionally, for 2-4 unit properties, NHS will need to verify household income for each tenant occupied rental unit. Please refer to the list of required documents you will need to complete the application process. If you are not sure about your income eligibility, please call NHS at 773-329-4111.