The City of Chicago COVID-19 Housing Assistance Grant administered by NHS received significant response and is not currently accepting additional applications.
The City of Chicago’s COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program was created to assist Chicagoans who have been impacted by the economic fallout from the outbreak of the coronavirus. This program provides a one-time cash assistance grant to eligible Chicago households to help tackle one of their biggest monthly expenses -- housing. Cash grants may be used for rent or mortgage payments for your primary residence. Available grants will be distributed by NHS on a first come first served basis.
General Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for the COVID-19 housing assistance grant, you must:
- Reside within the Chicago city limits
- Demonstrate your total household income was at 60% or below the Area Median Income (AMI) prior to March 1, 2020. (Refer to the table below to determine your income eligibility.)
- Have experienced a change in your employment status resulting in a loss of job or decrease in wages (after March 1, 2020) due to the COVID-19 crisis
- Be 18 years of age or over or a financially independent minor
Determine Income Eligibility
City of Chicago Area Median Income (AMI) Chart (as of April 1, 2019):
|Size of HH
||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person||6 Person||7 Person||8 Person|
|60% Area Median Income||$37,740||$42,780||$48,120||$53,460||$57,780||$62,042||$66,300||$70,620|
|Size of HH
||60% Area Median Income
- Click here to confirm your primary residence address falls within the Chicago city boundaries
- If your address is confirmed as eligible, click on “Apply” in the message box to start your application
Please refer to our list of accepted documents needed to verify your eligibility for the program.
Once we receive your application, the NHS Client Services team will send you more detailed information on where you can send/upload these documents such that we can quickly determine your eligibility for this housing assistance grant program.
Grants will be disbursed through an online system that will pay awards directly to a bank account or your account with the online payment services, PayPal or CashApp. If you do not have access to any of the previously mentioned accounts, NHS will make special arrangements with you to pay out your assistance grant.
If you have any questions about the program, need assistance applying for the cash grant, or have technical issues, please call our COVID-19 Housing Assistance Grant Hotline at 773-329-4040 or email EmergencyAssistance@nhschicago.org.
The entire NHS staff is working remotely and fully equipped to provide a full range of services including financial counseling. We can help you identify other resources and options for COVID-19 related issues. Please call us 773-329-4040 for a counseling appointment.
We hope that you and your family are keeping safe and remaining mentally and physically healthy during this challenging time.