2018 Program Overview
The Target Block grant covers exterior home repairs. To qualify for the grant, your property must be located in Avalon Park, Chatham, Chicago Lawn, Englewood, Gage Park, Greater Grand Crossing, West Humboldt Park, Woodlawn, or North Lawndale. You must be an “owner-occupant” of a residential property (1 to 4 dwelling units) in the Target Block area, identified by the City of Chicago and NHS Chicago, which means that the property you own is also your principal residence. “Mixed-use” (residential & commercial) properties are ineligible. Please read below for more detailed eligibility requirements.
General Eligibility Requirements
Eligible homeowners must:
- Occupy the home.
- Live in a single family up to 4-unit home.
- Meet household income requirements. See Income Eligibility below.
- Live in Avalon Park, Chatham, Chicago Lawn, Englewood, Gage Park, Greater Grand Crossing, West Humboldt Park, Woodlawn, or North Lawndale.
- Not owe the City of Chicago any delinquent debt (i.e. parking tickets, water debt, administrative hearing, etc.)
Target Block funds are primarily available for exterior home improvements. However, up to one-third of the total granted funds may be used for critical health and safety-related repairs. Examples of eligible repairs include:
- Roof repair or replacement
- Front and rear porch repair or replacement
- Window and door repair or replacement
- Concrete patios and walkways
- Faulty wiring, non-functioning furnaces or boilers, leaking plumbing, etc.
- Tuckpointing (to finish the mortar joints between bricks or stones with a narrow ridge of putty or fine lime mortar) and masonry repair
Target Block grants are available to low and moderate-income households earning up to 80% of Area Median Income for the Chicago Metropolitan Area as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Please see table below to see if you meet the income eligibility requirement. Household size and income will be verified by using tax returns and other financial documents during the application process. Please refer to the list of required documents you will need to complete the application process. If you are not sure about your income eligibility, please call NHS at 708-627-3071.
City of Chicago Area Median Income Chart:
|1 Person||2 Person||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person||6 Person||7 Person||8 Person|
|50% Area Median Income||$27,650||$31,600||$35,550||$39,500||$42,700||$45,850||$49,000||$52,150|
|80% Area Median Income||$44,250||$50,600||$56,900||$63,200||$68,300||$73,350||$78,400||$83,450|
|100% Area Median Income||$55,300||$63,200||$71,100||$79,000||$85,400||$91,700||$98,000||$104,300|
|120% Area Median Income||$66,360||$75,840||$85,320||$94,800||$102,480||$110,040||$117,600||$125,160|